Rocket launchers

Is some element of the game overpowered? Or useless? Is there a strategy that's unbeatable?
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 am

Rocket launchers are crazy overpowered.

Any ideas how to fix them? Lower damage or range or something?

Mike
Site Admin

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm hoping to get to making rocket launchers less overpowered soon. Feedback on the best way to do so is welcome. Some possible things that can be changed:

- Lower damage
- Lower range
- Fewer rockets
- Longer cooldown time
- Higher energy cost to maintain
- Change the targeting algorithm (Right now it starts with the enemy square closest to the rl, and hits it as many times as needed to defeat it. Then proceeds to the next closest square, and repeats until it's out of rockets. It may be possible with the right targeting algorithm to make it so that rls could be "distracted" while snuck up on and attacked.)

Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Not to make them totally useless, would consider the higher cooldown.

Energy cost means pretty much nothing. Lower damage, range and rockets.. maybe consider tweaking them in tier I, II and III. Rocket launchers seem to be fairly easy to get. Around level 20 if you beeline (i read in chat, havent checked). Tier I and II are pretty much equal right now. Maybe make tier I weaker, less rockets and range.

Another idea is maybe to give them minimum range? so they cant target squares right next to them. But then an array of them is still a workaround.

Loki

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Rocket launchers outrange everything else from tier 1 and out damage... a tier 1 guided missile cannoit get close enough.... I propose you reduce the range of rocket launcher... or.. Swap the Range of rockets and guided missiles... Guided are an offencive tower meant to counter the defencive towers but is sevrely outranged and outdamaged by the rockets... fix the missils and rokets will be just fine.

Mike
Site Admin

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Right now the ranges are:

Cannon: 2
Artillery Battery: 3
Rocket Launcher: 4

Guided Missile Station I: 2
Guided Missile Station II: 3
Guided Missile Station III: 4

Guided Missile II already has the same range as Rocket Launcher. So, are you saying that the range of each tier of guided missile should be increased by 1, so that Guided Missile III has longer range (by 1) than rocket launcher? Alternately, the range of Cannon, Artillery Battery and Rocket Launcher could each be decreased by 1.

Mike
Site Admin

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:59 pm

With today's update I've attempted to balance rocket launchers and guided missiles better. Here are the relevant changes:
  • The cooldown times of Cannons, Artillery Batteries and Rocket Launchers have been tripled to 15 seconds.
  • Rocket Launcher I's max damage has been decreased from 100 to 90.
  • Increased the attack range of each tier of Guided Missile Station by 1, to make them more capable of dealing with Rocket Launchers.
  • Decreased the damage dealt by Guided Missile stations by roughly one half, so that each hit by one is no longer a sure kill.
This is just a first pass, and will probably need modifying. Are the cooldown times too long now? Does the increased range make Guided Missile too powerful? Or does its decreased damage weaken it too much? Let's find out.

Note that building walls in the midst of battle is potentially a good defense against weapons like rocket launchers now, so I don't want to make guided missile too overpowered.

• Information