Steam launch and server capacity

Anything and everything related to War of Conquest.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:48 am

Any idea how many people the current server can handle?

Once it launces in steam as a free game, tons of people will join. MMO games usually have trouble handling the people first days. If the servers can't handle all the people, it will get tons of negative reviews and people wont play it.

Also some front page ad on steam would be nice, that would get you tons of traffic as well.

Currently there are about maybe 10 people playing in one day. Think about 1000 or 10000 for the first days of launch. Many people like free to play games or at least try them.

Mike, what are your plans for the future?

Mike
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:15 am

I don't yet know how many people the server can handle at once. The servers for the original WoC regularly had 300+ on at one time, and while the new WoC puts a bit more load on the servers, computers have also advanced by 15 years since then. We'll need to test and scale up gradually during beta, and find out. Good news is that there's a lot of room to upgrade the server hardware if it runs into problems, and it's also pretty easy to add new servers (additional game worlds).

After initially advertising to players of the original WoC during beta, I do plan to put the game on Steam. Ideally I'd like to do a soft launch on Steam and increase advertising there as the game proves that it can handle more and more players. You mentioned a lot of first-day traffic to new games on Steam... do new games automatically show up prominently for new players there, or does it seem to depend on the promotion/marketing push?

Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 am

There is a tab for "New releases" and also "New and Trending". Once launched, it will end up in the first one and probably in the second one.

Loki

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:17 pm

There are people who never pay for any games. These people check the steam new releases twice a day. The moment a new game shows up.. theyre gonna download and try it.. at least 70% of people will at least give it a look at especially with the tower defence appeal.

I think you should genre this as an open world tower defence. there is NO Other open world tower defence. This labeling would SERIOUSLY appeal to the current gaming market and could be a catalyst for the future of tower dfeences which is one of the biggest gaming markets around right now.. tower defence and moba... the way woc is now playing feels A LOT LIKE tower defence whether people liek to hear that or not. it does unique things no other game has ever done STILL mike is innovating gaming.

The old woc was unique... the new woc is even more unique.... I think I would category this as open world tower defence rts. Trust me on this those tags will bring in the sort of players your looking for.

Mike
Site Admin

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:11 pm

I had a tough time in the Kickstarter campaign figuring out how to explain WoC in a few words, in a way that people would understand and would communicate both what's familiar and different about it. Something like "open world tower defense RTS" I think does a better job of it than anything I tried, thanks :)

• Information