Map scaling test

Anything and everything related to War of Conquest.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:50 am

Mike, you said somewhere, that the map is easily scalable. Is that true without a wipe/reset? Where does the extra space come from, sides or the middle?

Maybe we should test the map scaling feature now.

Mike
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 am

The new space gets added at the right and/or bottom. That's why it's wide and short right now, because as more players join I plan on expanding it to be taller. No reset is required, and I have tested this on my test server.

Napoleon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 am

If no reset is required how do you decide what features on the map remain the same?

I am an advocate of stationary orbs that do not move, having areas of the map that you recognize and take a liking too and giving a familiarization is very nice.

Changing one of the sides to make it wider or taller would alter one of the water shore lines on the sides you decide to expand on.

I would prefer if orbs in that area stayed where they are and the map just expanded around them.

The problem I see and I like to build an orb list, is on the orb list it wouldn't no longer show the orb as that location.

It would show "Vanished Orb" which from my standpoint isn't appealing on an orb list.

That's just my opinion however.

Loki

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:30 pm

or leave all the orbs and res where they are when you expand map..

if we have multiple servers and the maps in those servers are random generated i have an idea here that could be interesting, competetive, and a LOT of fun!!!!!

Ok so... Map gets expanded S for now because He already expanded it east. what if when a map expansion happened the orbs remained... all of them.. the destinies the voids the fire... and the new ones are generated.... so now there is a larger map with twice as man orbs..... If the map gets expanded a third time n that specific server the orbs again double.. which is 4x the original ammount.. etc... now we have 4 orbs of fire on THIS server to fight over. every map expansion the orbs remain while the new ones are generated as well. same with res it remains and new res is generated as well.

I also have an idea to DETERMINE when to expand a specific server. Player count. simple player count. first start the map with the size it is right now. when that server reaches 100 players do the first expansion. 1000 for the second. so to have the 4x orb count the server would have had to hold onto 1000 players which is very unlikely.. most games I have played Have MULTIPLE servers and most of them have a capacity cap. Woc should too. Cap the servers at 1000. so most of the servers are going to end up with 100-500 players. those would have the 2 fires and double all the original orb counts. I think this could make it a lot of fun.. it could give us things to do while our manpower regenerates because we could join another server. maybe start Beta with 5 Servers.

Thoughts??

Mike
Site Admin

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Napoleon wrote:
If no reset is required how do you decide what features on the map remain the same?
If, say, it expands to the south (as will probably happen when there are a lot more players) then everything would stay the same except the southern shoreline, where a lot of new land would appear there are to the south of it, and the new shoreline would be positioned much further south.
Napoleon wrote:
I am an advocate of stationary orbs that do not move, having areas of the map that you recognize and take a liking too and giving a familiarization is very nice.

Changing one of the sides to make it wider or taller would alter one of the water shore lines on the sides you decide to expand on.

I would prefer if orbs in that area stayed where they are and the map just expanded around them.

The problem I see and I like to build an orb list, is on the orb list it wouldn't no longer show the orb as that location.

It would show "Vanished Orb" which from my standpoint isn't appealing on an orb list.
The orbs are the only things that are placed by hand. When I expand the map further south I hope to keep the existing orbs where they are. That's why Fire is currently near the bottom of the map, so that when the map expands it will be near the center.
loki wrote:
Ok so... Map gets expanded S for now because He already expanded it east. what if when a map expansion happened the orbs remained... all of them.. the destinies the voids the fire... and the new ones are generated.... so now there is a larger map with twice as man orbs..... If the map gets expanded a third time n that specific server the orbs again double.. which is 4x the original ammount.. etc... now we have 4 orbs of fire on THIS server to fight over. every map expansion the orbs remain while the new ones are generated as well. same with res it remains and new res is generated as well.
That's almost what the plan is right now -- resources and most orb types would double if/when the map area doubles. But I intend to only ever have 1 fire per map, so that it remains the "ultimate" goal.
loki wrote:
I also have an idea to DETERMINE when to expand a specific server. Player count. simple player count. first start the map with the size it is right now. when that server reaches 100 players do the first expansion. 1000 for the second. so to have the 4x orb count the server would have had to hold onto 1000 players which is very unlikely.. most games I have played Have MULTIPLE servers and most of them have a capacity cap. Woc should too. Cap the servers at 1000. so most of the servers are going to end up with 100-500 players. those would have the 2 fires and double all the original orb counts. I think this could make it a lot of fun.. it could give us things to do while our manpower regenerates because we could join another server. maybe start Beta with 5 Servers.
My plan is to expand a single game world proportionally to the number of players on it until we reach some limit, most likely that the server is starting to get bogged down and can't hand;e more players, even after having been upgraded. At that point I would open up another server / game world, and can create as many new game worlds as needed. No more than one game world at the start of beta, though -- it will all depend on how many players we get.

Sphinx

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Does the map rescaling reshuffle the resources like it did when alchemist labs and research facilites got added?
If yes, then its very bad. But i guess it doesnt, since its some formula based and you dont need to change it unless there are new resources.

Anyway, the map is getting cramped. Time to expand?

Mike
Site Admin

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Expanding the map won't shuffle the resources. Just adding new resources or changing the probabilities of different resources would do that.

I think it will be time to expand the map before long.

Keane

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 am

The orbs are the only things that are placed by hand.
So you're trolling us with that unreachable noon? lol

Mike
Site Admin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Keane wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 am
The orbs are the only things that are placed by hand.
So you're trolling us with that unreachable noon? lol
lol it's not unreachable, it just takes a little work :)

• Information