State of the Community

Anything and everything related to War of Conquest.
ArcticPrism
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:39 pm

I don't think having a manpower limit is all bad. I know the super hardcore players from the original game don't like it but I don't think a complete lack of a manpower limit will make the game better overall. There won't be much of a player base if a very tiny minority of the players who play ALL day long(and have played since the original game) are in control of everything simply due to the the sheer amount of gameplay hours. There are relatively few people who can, or are willing to spend more than a few hours a day on a single game. I know that sounds really anti-competitive because people who put time into the game should be rewarded for doing so but the game needs space for casual to semi-hardcore players if you want a lasting population of more than a handful of nations. Manpower limits can help reduce the gap within a reasonable degree and can be adjusted as needed. Player skill should at least give someone an edge because they're more efficient with how they spend their manpower.

More active players might help curb the dominance of older players but it'll take a long time for them to catch up with those who already know the game inside and out. This is also assuming older players give new ones a chance to rise in power and not smash them before they get the chance to. If there isn't a wipe at the Steam release, or at least a second server with a new map, a lot of players may be turned off shortly after playing. The game has already been mapped and taken over by alpha and beta players who have main and alt nations everywhere and know where the best stuff is. Even if alt nations aren't actively holding resources or orbs I see people using them for easy exp for their main nations, especially after a rebirth. The high score lists will also be impossible to topple because people have been able to sit on orbs for so long in alpha/beta. There's a lot of orbs that you can view the high score list on and literally no one but someone's alt nation has been sitting on it the entire month.

More ways to improve manpower regeneration might be nice. The manpower rate resources seem useless. They give tiny amounts compared to the hundreds you get from a single technology. I don't really see many people bothering to spend geo to capture fresh water or soil. It might be different in the high level zones though. I've only seen Freshwater And Soil, which is just a worse Fresh Water. Having the decision to capture manpower rate resources instead of always just raw tech/bio/psi and some of the better energy rate resources might be good. Problem is that the resources aren't good enough plus the fact that you burn like 2-3x manpower for failed attacks making combat stats more appealing to reduce failed attempts. They also help defensively where manpower rate does not.

A potential problem the current manpower system has is discouraging nation teams because your pool is the same regardless of members. I mean, you'd still have the advantage of completing an objective twice as fast with a second member which is still significant. You could still overpower another nation with less members because you'd be taking squares quicker. The more squares you have to retake because of a drawn out fight trading squares the more manpower you waste in the long run. In that sense having more members actually saves manpower though it wouldn't do much for equal member count fights.

if people feel that isn't enough then maybe stricter account restrictions could make room for more mechanics. Less accounts per device, nation member limits, multi-nation limits. Maybe something like reduced manpower costs per online active member would help. Active as in they are doing things on the map not just logged in and staring at it. Or how about special sov/co sov tools. Like a bonus that gives each online member a second pool of manpower that lasts for X amount of hours with a cooldown. Or even just a permanent technology that gives each member of your nation a second manpower pool equal to some % of your nation's maximum.

More encouragement to join up with others in a nation and make alliances would go a long way to preserving the game. Not only would it build a sense of community, players would be less likely to be left out in the cold solo and quit because they are too weak to survive on their own. More nations that are powerful would also reduce the amount any single nation can control and the number of enemy nations one can fight at the same time, especially because manpower is limited.
Last edited by ArcticPrism on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buzz Lightyear
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:01 pm

+1

Surfa

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:03 am

It sounds like you just need a server for people who want to passive play and a main server for real playing. I was beat down by spit before but I did not complain because I did not want to take the time to fight back. And it was not just spit other people whooped my ass also. Then i decided to hit spit and then I made friends with pac again and it made me want to play more. I cannot remember being successful in old woc by playing a few hours a day, maybe at the end of its run it was like that but not that I remember, yet thats what people want. Any nation I ran in had shifts and someone on at all times if you wanted to hold your stuff. The only reason we are on top is because we are active and we work together. Spit didnt want to fight so they all left except for jurg who just settles land and tries to talk crap. We are not unbeatable but no one wants or has time to play, so these people fort up in mid and noob lands and make it hard as hell for people to level up and then they stop playing. No one even makes it up to us for us to drive people off the game. So make a server where people can play defense and log in once a day and then let people who want to fight play on the main server.
"Where will all the martyrs go when the virus cures itself?"

Surfa

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:10 am

Also, most of the people that do make it up to us join us because we talk to them and try to help them out. That does not indicate we are the ones driving people away.
"Where will all the martyrs go when the virus cures itself?"

Tupac

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Here is my opinion for what it matters....

If Mike is to bring back WoC Classic I believe you should have to pay a subscription for it ($10 to $20/monthly) for the trouble. I understand this as a developer.

Most players here don't want to play or if they do its at a minimum. They don't like the pace of the game, and lack understanding of the mechanics from what I've seen. No one wants to "war" they want to sit still and have a consolidation prize in my opinion. Everyone thinks you get to hold fire with no work. Never been that way in the old or new WoC. We spent $250 fighting for fire the first go around on MP, and approximately 21 hours over 4 days, and didn't succeed period. So why should you with minimal or no work?

We are viewed as the evil threat to the game. We were done the same way by most players when we showed up. Wiped all the time, etc. Spitfire was infamous for doing this to everyone including us. They did it with three nations. What did we do? Returned the favor. Gotta love payback!

Steam will open doors for players when the map expands. We won't be able to take control like this period. That's cool.

I don't think a reset or list reset is good thing. I think this server when it moves to steam stays where its at. No one wants to come on as a new player, and see nothing has been achieved. Looks like a dead game in my opinion. For those who want a reset or a clean list wait for a new server. We were told that no resets were going to happen. Mike is this true? Do we need to expect this? Are we going to one account? If so I think you should let everyone know these things a month before Steam Launch. Due to all the nations, and work some of us have put effort into.

Thanks,
The Infamous Tupac

xXtodd

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Summed up. Loki can't compete. And he doesn't understand 25% is 1/4. Sad really. Savage.

xXtodd

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:22 pm

But. Anyone who wants to take IOZ down. I'm down. Just let me know whats up. End of Tupac's era!!!!! And if not. Well. Savage.

Stillpimpin619

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Hey Todd. I'm really interested in this "taking Tupac out" thing. How do I join your infamous brigade of awesomeness? And why is Loki so stupid?

xXtodd

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Oh it's easy my friend Todd. We just destroy everything he holds dear. Death to the infidels! And I'm not sure about Loki. Probably his math skills most likely though. SAVAGE.
Last edited by xXtodd on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stillpimpin619

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Sounds great! And that does make sense. A lot of poorly educated people have anger issues. I get it now! SAVAGE!

• Information