Too complicated for the average player.

Anything and everything related to War of Conquest.
Duke
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Mike do you not worry that all of these buildings and defenses you have created are way too complicated for the average player. I garuntee the average person would download this game on their phone, play for a few minutes, get frustrated, and leave.

I just fear that your basically taking your core fan base and assuming that the everyday person would be able to play this game because we can. Just my thoughts, would like to hear everyone's opinion.

You've essentially just made a way more complicated version of your old game, which already had a tough learning curve for new players. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm just trying to keep in mind the potential players that could try this game. Mike said as is, only 8 people are online at a time now. Compared to how many backers? Your only holding the attention of a small sliver of your current fan base.

Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57 pm

The complexity comes in play a lot later. You need to get a bunch of levels for those tech. The average gamer would come in and conquer some land and resources. If they stay interested, theyll eventually learn about the buildings as well. First cannon and wall are quite straight forward.

This game is going to be free to play and on steam, i'm pretty sure its going to get lots of players.

One thing i was starting to think about is all those 1 square nations, that wont have any active players any more. Theres definitely going to be players who play a bit and then quit, nothing to do about that. Lots of clutter, or maybe easy way to get levels for the new players?

Dre

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:02 pm

That is the reason for a virtual handbook or some kind of tutorial/user manual that people can read and follow as they progress through the game. I don't think the game should be too complicated either, but simplifying certain aspects should not be necessary. One has to struggle a bit to figure out how to be on top and motivated to play. At this stage of the game, I would agree there are too many things going on at once, but I am sure through balancing it out and improving it through player feedbacks, we can make this game smooth like butter.

CptJackSparrow

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 pm

I think ppl are going to play for a while and then get discouraged when they run out manpower really fast. The first 30 or so levels feels like farmville when you are leveling up. Something has to change. I think when you level up a partial amount of your manpower should be replenished.

Sphinx

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:01 am

CptJackSparrow wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 pm
I think ppl are going to play for a while and then get discouraged when they run out manpower really fast. The first 30 or so levels feels like farmville when you are leveling up. Something has to change. I think when you level up a partial amount of your manpower should be replenished.
When you level up and pick techs that increase your max manpower, that manpower is added right away. But i do agree, manpower should not run out in the beginning.

Mike
Site Admin

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:55 am

I did try to layer the complexity in gradually over time... it starts with just attacking and evacing, and a couple simple defenses that can be built. Over time a player can learn about geo efficiency, the various stats, invisibility, flanking, etc., but there's no rush, it can be a gradual process. I also tried to create an interactive tutorial to help guide people through it. We'll see what needs to be made smoother once new players do start arriving.

To me, the old WoC had a lot of non-obvious complexities that made it tricky, but the gameplay itself seemed too simple (click, attack, repeat). I wanted to add some more interesting tactical possibilities in there like a variety of defenses that can be combined, as well as ways to get around them, and to minimize obscure rules. A lot of games have many different types of units to build, most of them more than WoC has now; I think it can work well so long as they're introduced to players bit by bit.

As for manpower, it would be possible to give a manpower bonus every time a nation levels up. Maybe something like a 25% fillup? I just don't want early players to get used to the idea of being able to play as long as they want every day, only to be frustrated when manpower limits their attack time more at later levels.

Therealplagel

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 am

I think the complexity is fine if these idiots can figure it out :)

RoyaleCheese88

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Running of man power, absolutely sucks, especially in the middle of an orb fight or something similar...thats gonna be super discouraging, day 1, And already have to buy credits...is this going to be needed everyday? To play? What if we have multiple people online? Almost has the pay to play feel, that won never had...i get you got bills to pay, but sheesh man!

Mike
Site Admin

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:33 pm

The biggest reason for having the manpower limitation is to put some limit on the advantage that players who have a lot of time to put into the game have over more casual players. For players who do want to play beyond the manpower limit there are still a couple of options: they can pay for more manpower, or they can use multiple nations.

Duke

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Ya they use multiple nations to continue building the empire, further hurting the chances for the other players... your manpower idea sucks.... time to give in and scrap it.

• Information