@ Mike Ferrier - My Thoughts

Is some element of the game overpowered? Or useless? Is there a strategy that's unbeatable?
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Buzz Lightyear
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 am

Hi Mike

First off thank you for taking time to bring this game back to life.

Second congrats on a fantastic job, it looks great, feels great and I am sure people will love it for a good long while.

I do have a few issues. They are:

- Virtually unplayable as a solo. Yes you can get so far but if you want to compete at high levels you really do have no chance if you are not in a team. You may want to make it a team game and if that is the case that is fine.
- Limit each player to one nation and one username. If they want to join another they lose their original nation. The game is full of vets who know far too much about the original woc and any new player will find it difficult to compete against players that make seeds and dominate the game at lower levels.
- Put a time limit on rebirth based on days. I feel something around 2 - 4 weeks would be suitable. Once a nation reaches that time limit it rebirths automatically. Or if rebirth runs out then again rebirth happens.
- Expand the map or make different maps/servers with a random allocation to any of these maps.
- Cap resource limits per nation. This will free up resources for more nations to be competitive. We have many nations taking a lot of resources which again is making hard for newer players to gain a foothold.

Final thought. I assume you made this game to get a return on your time and investment in the game. Most players or even many players that played in the early days are now adults and work fulltime. At best they will have a evening and maybe a weekend at best to play your creation. Most are happy to spend but will be wanting to be competitive assuming they do so. With the game as it stands atm I would be a spender but won't be as I am not competitive as a solo unless I can manage to stay awake 24/7.

I wish you well with your game but I fear this will end with the same result as the original.

To the players:
Nice to meet with a good few of you again especially clone but unless things change you may not see me around as often as I could be. Some of you I am sure will no doubt consider that to be a good thing.

Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am

Hey.

-it is playable as solo. Its harder, but doable. Although a solo nations only server would be awesome (have to prevent account sharing though)

-This would ruin the game for those who can only play a few hours a day. Really hard to force to use only one account.

-Rebirth has 2 weeks time limit already. I think its too long. I played solo and reached rebirth range in less than a week. Someone who wanted to only grind would RB right away.

-There arent enough players for a bigger map. This is apparently planned when there are more people.

-Resources are limited already by nation. By resource cap and geo efficiency.

The game is young. If it will be successful, then more features might be added eventually.

Mike
Site Admin

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Thank you both for the thoughts. A few comments:

- Limiting the number of usernames/nations per player is tough, as there are ways to get around it, so putting the limit in place would give a big advantage to those who get around it. But, at some point once there are enough players to make it practical, I'd like to try having a second server that is geared more toward solo players, and at least attempts to put that limit in place.

- I agree that resource hoarding is rampant right now. There is a cap on how much a nation's stats can be improved by the resources they own, but many nations collect resources well beyond that cap, just to keep them from others and to have backup should some get stolen from them. What "should" be the practical cap of how many resources a nation can hold is geo efficiency, but it hasn't been successful enough at enforcing that limit yet. I'll be making a change later this week that will cause geo efficiency to penalize isolated squares a lot more, we'll see how that works. I intend to tighten geo efficiency until nations can no longer hoard ridiculous amounts of resources.

- Rebirth has a min and a max time limit now. A rebirth cycle has to last at least 2 weeks, and rebirth is forced when the countdown of 500 reaches 0. Every day a nation loses (level - 100) points from the countdown, so the higher they get the faster it decreases, and orbs award XP so nations that hold orbs will inevitably rebirth.

Nothing

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 am

Mike wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 pm
- I agree that resource hoarding is rampant right now. There is a cap on how much a nation's stats can be improved by the resources they own, but many nations collect resources well beyond that cap, just to keep them from others and to have backup should some get stolen from them. What "should" be the practical cap of how many resources a nation can hold is geo efficiency, but it hasn't been successful enough at enforcing that limit yet. I'll be making a change later this week that will cause geo efficiency to penalize isolated squares a lot more, we'll see how that works. I intend to tighten geo efficiency until nations can no longer hoard ridiculous amounts of resources.
I think there are a few contributing factors that are being over-looked. While it would be nice if something was done to address the first one, I don't have an opinion on whether the others should be addressed or not:

-Unless I just haven't found it yet (completely possible), there's no way tell how much of a boost you're getting from resources without keeping track of them as you gain/lose them. It would be nice if there was a window that listed the resources you control and how much they're boosting the various stats. This would make it easier to determine if a particular one would be worth fighting over, esp if it would require several attempts.

-I've noticed an improvement in this since the recent update, but a lot of folk aren't bothering to build up large territories (as in over 100 tiles) like they did in the original game. Even with the move feature, it's tedious traveling around the map looking for a nation you can attack for exp. It's much easier to just go from resource to resource snatching them from whoever's holding them whether you need them or not.

-This will probably become less of a factor as time goes on and folk complete the quests, but there are some nice quest rewards for holding onto some insane amounts of resources (100+ resources held at once). Anyone that hasn't already completed these quests would be insane not to snatch up every resource they come across.

Mike
Site Admin

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Nothing wrote:
-Unless I just haven't found it yet (completely possible), there's no way tell how much of a boost you're getting from resources without keeping track of them as you gain/lose them. It would be nice if there was a window that listed the resources you control and how much they're boosting the various stats. This would make it easier to determine if a particular one would be worth fighting over, esp if it would require several attempts.
There isn't (yet) a list of all resources you own, but on the Nation > Stats panel you can click on a stat and see how much resources are contributing to that stat.
Nothing wrote:
-I've noticed an improvement in this since the recent update, but a lot of folk aren't bothering to build up large territories (as in over 100 tiles) like they did in the original game. Even with the move feature, it's tedious traveling around the map looking for a nation you can attack for exp. It's much easier to just go from resource to resource snatching them from whoever's holding them whether you need them or not.
The lack of large territories is because geo efficiency hasn't been as crucial in new WoC as in old WoC. That was partly fixed with the last update, that fixed a bug that incorrectly gave many nations a big geo efficiency boost, so they didn't need to have a main to maintain high geo. I'll also be making another update soon that will change the way geo is calculated a bit, so that more of a main will be required in order to hold many resources at once.
Nothing wrote:
-This will probably become less of a factor as time goes on and folk complete the quests, but there are some nice quest rewards for holding onto some insane amounts of resources (100+ resources held at once). Anyone that hasn't already completed these quests would be insane not to snatch up every resource they come across.
Once geo efficiency is a more effective restriction on spreading a nation thin, I can see nations still taking lots of resources to fulfill that quest, but they wouldn't want to keep them long because it would lower their defenses.

• Information