Phantasmic Threat

Is some element of the game overpowered? Or useless? Is there a strategy that's unbeatable?
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:16 pm

This tower is totally useless. I don't see any situation where to build it.

If youre using psi, you most likely have invisibility and enemies don't see your buildings. If they see only one, then its obviously phantasmic threat. The building techs dont give anything, using research points on them is a total waste.

Would be nice if psi had something cool like tech has, like towers who dont come out of invisibility or counter enemy defenses.

Mike
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:23 pm

The point of phantasmic threat is as a cheap "decoy" tower that can be placed among other invisible defenses to make it harder for attackers to determine how to flank and diffuse defenses (using the roman numerals), and so trick them into attacking live defenses. What is preventing it now from being useful in that way?

Sphinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 pm

It uses energy and probably uses a valuable spot in the defense lineup. Energy is a premium resource, not to be wasted on things that don't help.

When you attack a couple of times, you see where the enemy buildings are, that pop up. Areas, that dont pop up and have roman numerals, have exploding buildings usually.

Having phantasmic threat next to a exploder(like supervirus) will self flank it.

Also, when you see PT once (and it gets taken back by other defenses), next time its not a suprise any more. A regular tower would at least help defend.

If you have any suggestions how to properly use it, i'm all ears.

Things that could make it better:
  • Make it act like a wall when flanking (and still invisible. probably annoying to do codewise. still not quite useful.)
  • Make it cost no energy. (probably way too powerful for that, cheap wall).
  • Make it hide the roman numerals. It deletes all the enemy roman numerals around itself. Maybe even in range 1,2,3 according to level. Still probably useless after the enemy sees the defenses, but acts like a moment of surprise. People might even use it. (this one i like a lot. could it be in certain cases too powerful?)

Napoleon

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:44 am

I don't know if those solutions will help the defense.

Maybe have it so if someone attacks it, it will deactivate or drain the energy out of enemy defenses or structures in a small area of effect for a small amount of time? Like 30 seconds to a minute and it can be upgraded with level.

In a fight this would be useful giving the defender time to kill squares while the defenses ad structures on them are inert.

A point I want to bring up that you mentioned, Structure and Defense tech should give stats. Some form of stats, make it worth my while to get the tech for a certain weapon. Some already have stats, why not all of em?

Loki

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 pm

This is a decoy.. plain and simple... and its a good one.. the last time it got patched form my idea and i tested it out and it works perfectly.

You ask for a situation to use it let me explain a litle for you.

Legend:

x = open
P = phantasmic threat
D = other defence
L= launcher (gun type weapon like rocket launchers or kerunos)
o = orb or res (objectives)

xxx
xxx
xxx standard 3x3

xlx
lol
xlx 3x3 with a few rocket launchers for defence arounjd an objective

xxxxx
xdpdx
xlolx
xpdpx
xxxxx Tricking with some decoys by changing some of the places they are layed to maybe makesomeo atatck that temple or svc

Mind you some of you will argue with me that these defences are bad and wont work. obviously im not going to be giving away my real strategies but this was just an example of how a phantasmic threat can be useful in tricking an enemy into clicking a live active defence.

Sphinx

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 pm

Phantasmic threat does absolutely nothing there. Someone attacks once, sees where all the "fighting" towers are and thats it. Nobody really cares about the roman numerals, unless the exploders are around. Capture all the shooters and flank the other ones visible by roman numerals. I wouldnt care if its a PT or a supervirus for example. With the exploders theres a chance at least they do something when you attack it, PT just loses and does nothing.

Napoleon

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:06 am

Sphinx,

Just ignore loki, he has no positive ideas.He's extremely bitter and is only interested in casting negativity on potential progress.

He can't stand any idea that isn't his own.

From my standpoint... i will never tech them, ever.

Sphinx

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:18 pm

Even when its cheaper now it still seems useless.

Does it flank your own defenses? If no, then it might see some play in some situations, otherwise any other building occupying that square would be better(except fuel tanks etc).

Three levels of the same thing, with increasing hp. Once you see and know what it is, it is already useless. So if by chance someone would use it, then only the level 1 one, for its confusing roman numerals feature.

I think we still need to discuss this building. Having techs which nobody ever uses seems bad.

• Information