Needs more depth

Is some element of the game overpowered? Or useless? Is there a strategy that's unbeatable?
SaintVoodooInc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:52 am

Without seeding and no cash prizes the game is lacking depth severely. As it stands the game is almost as rewarding as a colouring book... In your attempt to cater to the masses you have made a cookie cutter game that has the reminiscent shell of the original. Their is very little depth at all. I would suggest bringing back seeding and having the all time winners list posted back up so people can see progress made. Resources also need reviewed seen some very good suggestion already posted on the subject. One last suggestions would be to allow credit transfers.

SaintVoodooInc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 am

You can literally only level get resources get orbs rebirth do it again and that's all you can do over and over...

SaintVoodooInc

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:45 pm

What about adding in some type of boss fights and PvP game modes?

Mike
Site Admin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 am

Thanks for the thoughts. Could you elaborate on in what ways the old WoC felt like it had more depth than the new WoC? My intention was to add depth, not remove it.

Also a note: All-time and monthly ranks lists can be accessed on the Connect panel, in the Ranks subpanel.

Napoleon

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Maybe he means getting to the all lists on the website too?

On another note, you can still seed in a way. You can only unite one in at a time though. - You are unable to purchase them, or well you kinda could... but it doesn't work because the Sov stays the Sov.

On another note, this is a double edged sword... adding more depth is good, but too much can also make the game or what the game is now lose some of it's already fun features. A balance must be met, or maybe the multiple servers idea with different world dynamics. A player can have the choice which one to play.

Steve

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Adding all those defences at once when old woc had none didn't add any depth, it just added an annoying aspect of game play for many of us, should of started with a few and gradually increased the amount with say 2-3 monthly updates, which brings me to another point, mostly all other similar games have 2-3 "big" updates per year, adding various things like more levels, defences, attacking options.. how can WoC have something like that? its pretty much peaked.

To add to Voodoo (is that the real voodoo?) Old woc had various more options, like things i have mentioned 100s of times previous to this, and still it went under the radar,

Old Woc: Seeding ( clicking 1-100 against leveler nations to unite points into running nations)

Transferable credits ( those running could purchase seeds to get levels quicker, creating a marketplace, people could click points for seeders and runners in exchange for credits, basically "mercs", who remembers the ole 2k/1c lol)

Farming (Making say a load of level 30ish nations, creating a small main with them, teching them for argiculture and logging in everyday to get your small amount of free points, ALOT of people farmed, myself, Ato, Plaguel, and tons more)

Noob and Midlands (people like jabber were famous for this, they would run those lands, back when the whole noobland was level 1-30 and midland was i think 30-110? might be wrong on that one, but having big areas with orbs and res made basically a seperate sort of orb running on a smaller scale, whereas new woc has that line system that forces you along to lose your stuff as your levels progress meaning you cant really "run" those areas)

BIG12 ( obviously nations just strictly running for the big orbs)

Old woc had various gameplay features for everyone depending on the time you had, or type of person/ playing style you chose, during my "active years" i was playing alot of hours most days, and could run for the big orbs, ive also done seeding by the truckload, and farming on huge scales (blame Ato lol)

New Woc: start out and progress with nothing to do but capture res and orbs and repeat this cycle over and over and over.

Now say we have Barbs and Spitfire (the 2 most active nations right now) and then we have Joe Blogs who can only play 3 hours per day, Poor Mr Blogs will have NO chance of competing with those who have near round the clock coverage, and nothing you can do about that, the big teams run out of MP? No probs, they have back up nation after back up nation ready. BUT Mr Blogs in old woc would of thought, i actually like this game, i know i cant compete with the big guys, so lemme make some seeds for them, make some farms, keep myself busy, maybe make some credits selling those seeds and farms, slowly gain experience running in midlands..

The last im saying on this matter because time and time again ive explained it, i mean if your intention is just to have the only dimention as running for orbs then fair enough, its your game, but lets wait and see how many people stop playing when they cant win them from the monopolising big teams, and lets see how many people stick around after doing 5-10 rebirth cycles and get bored of the exact same thing time over.

We are not all a bunch of list obsessed people like John lol

SaintVoodooInc

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Yeah seeding was a good alternative to people who didn't have a lot of time to invest into the game. Really wish being allied was worth it again but maybe no alliances past level 100 and agricultural resources up to lvl 100. At this point I'm taking orbs and fortifying the hell out of them to just level seeds. Really don't need the credits but the experience gained off them. I have a feeling more will follow suit since their is no agriculture resources and the blowback is new people won't have much of a shot at orbs.

Also what about adding boss fights? Fight against an AI boss with defences around it and a time limit.

I fully understand you had to take cash prizes out but the reward system seems lacking you can only play for credits now even though that's what almost all of us did before. I know every cent I ever made I put right back into the game....

Yes i mean on the website like it use to be would be nice
Last edited by SaintVoodooInc on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

SaintVoodooInc

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Very well said Steve and that's the gods honest truth.... The reward system will make this game feel monotonous to say the least.... Maybe be able to cash credits for cash? I don't play for money but atleast then I'd feel like credits are actually worth something. Not sure to be honest. Just feels like the reward for all your hard work is for nothing now. I can buy credits I don't need credits...

Mike
Site Admin

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Steve wrote:
Adding all those defences at once when old woc had none didn't add any depth, it just added an annoying aspect of game play for many of us, should of started with a few and gradually increased the amount with say 2-3 monthly updates, which brings me to another point, mostly all other similar games have 2-3 "big" updates per year, adding various things like more levels, defences, attacking options.. how can WoC have something like that? its pretty much peaked.
The defenses were added to make the game more interesting tactically than just attack, evac, pile forts. They're also the most difficult part of the game to balance well, and that's still in progress. As for peaking, I don't see why more defenses and other options couldn't be added in the future.
Steve wrote:
Old Woc: Seeding ( clicking 1-100 against leveler nations to unite points into running nations)
Isn't this still possible now? The limit on how often a nation can unite means a nations can't be constantly uniting in seeds, but that just means individual seeds need to have more XP to be worth it.
Steve wrote:
Transferable credits ( those running could purchase seeds to get levels quicker, creating a marketplace, people could click points for seeders and runners in exchange for credits, basically "mercs", who remembers the ole 2k/1c lol)
This will be enabled once credit purchasing is also enabled. Purchased credits will be able to be transferred.
Steve wrote:
Farming (Making say a load of level 30ish nations, creating a small main with them, teching them for argiculture and logging in everyday to get your small amount of free points, ALOT of people farmed, myself, Ato, Plaguel, and tons more)
Farming was eliminated to keep the map from getting clogged up by large nations that are just there to passively collect XP. But I get your point, it does provide a way for players with less time to spend in the game to level up. I'll look into putting back in some form of farming.
Steve wrote:
Noob and Midlands (people like jabber were famous for this, they would run those lands, back when the whole noobland was level 1-30 and midland was i think 30-110? might be wrong on that one, but having big areas with orbs and res made basically a seperate sort of orb running on a smaller scale, whereas new woc has that line system that forces you along to lose your stuff as your levels progress meaning you cant really "run" those areas)
How does the moving boundary prevent players from "running" low or mid level areas? It just means they lose their things gradually, rather than all at once in the old WoC. And they can keep their stuff for a long while by moving themselves further out in front of the west boundary.
SaintVoodooInc wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 pm
Also what about adding boss fights? Fight against an AI boss with defences around it and a time limit.
That would take major dev time, something along those lines is a possibility for a future expansion though.
SaintVoodooInc wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:34 pm
Very well said Steve and that's the gods honest truth.... The reward system will make this game feel monotonous to say the least.... Maybe be able to cash credits for cash? I don't play for money but atleast then I'd feel like credits are actually worth something. Not sure to be honest. Just feels like the reward for all your hard work is for nothing now. I can buy credits I don't need credits...
Anything involving cash prizes puts limits on payment processors, game portals that will handle it, etc. One future possibility is Steam trading cards, which can be exchanged for prizes.

Thank you both for the feedback.

Nothing

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm
Steve wrote:
The defenses were added to make the game more interesting tactically than just attack, evac, pile forts. They're also the most difficult part of the game to balance well, and that's still in progress. As for peaking, I don't see why more defenses and other options couldn't be added in the future.
I actually like the defenses. It's much more interesting then just mindlessly clicking tile after tile.

If you pay attention to how they work, it's possible to neutralize most of them if you're patient. Flanking them is one way if you're looking to do those quests, but not necessarily the best way depending on how they've been arraigned.

• Information