Amount of resources

Is some element of the game overpowered? Or useless? Is there a strategy that's unbeatable?
Therealplagel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:16 am

Level 99, 100% geo. Look how many resources!
flagsystem.jpg
flagsystem.jpg (113.57KiB)Viewed 12184 times

Napoleon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:24 am

Absolute insanity, something needs to be done.

At that point after we flagged em all, it's proven it is absolutely unmanageable.

The Geo to Res/Squares outside of main needs to be adjusted greatly.

The decrease of stat power on Energy and Manpower res and the increase of the resources themselves may help make it unsustainable to get those resources much outside of main. That's a start.

But amassing the other stat res, when it fact you don't actually need them sheds nothing good on anyone.

I know the rebuttals to this, however, look at the flags on the screenshot.... it speaks for itself. A nation should have to make difficult choices when it comes to sustainability and power and shouldn't take more than it needs, and if it does... there needs to be a penalty of some kind which Geo obviously isn't doing.

Dre

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:45 am

Wow, that is crazy! I would maybe think it is better to have the resources organized in a drop-down menu. Something a little similar to the way the orbs are currently listed. For example, there could be a tab next to the orb section under connect called Resources, and it can show images of the resource type (Fertile Soil, Fresh Water, Iron Deposit, etc.). Upon clicking the image, this will take you to a separate page where you can see each and every one of your resources' location by the clicking on the coordinates. This will also give an idea to new players on how many resource types are in the entire game. Obviously the specific resource location won't be shown until you actually plot your land on the destination. So, the more resources one captures, the more it will accumulate in each of the corresponding resource types.

These are my ideas on this issue. Any kind of suggestions?

Mike
Site Admin

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:05 pm

That's incredible -- yeah it looks like geo still isn't doing its job. Is that nation TheAddamsFamily?

Mike
Site Admin

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:49 pm

There are a couple of possible ways to modify the geo efficiency formula, without making it ridiculously complicated:

1) Decrease the supportable area further.

Say we decreased the supportable are per level from its current 15 to 10, then TheAddamsFamily would have:

1220 supportable instead of 1730. 784 excess. 1079-784 / 925 = 32% base geo + 32% from advances = 64% total geo

2) Another change we could make that would make the formula a little more complex, but would more directly penalize border area (squares outside the main), is to multiply the border area by some number:

For example multiply border area by 2:

base geo = (interior_area - excess_area) / (2 * border_area)

Then TheAddamsFamily would have:

1730 supportable. 274 excess. 1079-274/(2 * 925) = 44% + 32% from advances = 76%

Besides making the formula more complex though, this approach would also increase the minimum size of the main that any nation would need to get to 100% geo, from the current 6x6 to 10x10.

We could also go further and multiply border area by 4 in the formula.

base geo = (interior_area - excess_area) / (4 * border_area)

Then TheAddamsFamily would have:

1730 supportable. 274 excess. 1079-274/(4 * 925) = 22% + 32% advances = 54%

But now the minimum main size for 100% geo would be 18x18... I think that's way too big to ask of most nation.

For the sake of keeping the formula simple and of not increasing the minimum main size needed to reach 100% geo, my preference would be to decrease supportable area per level again, from 15 to 10.

It may also make sense to decrease the amounts of geo bonuses available from advances a little bit more.

Also keep in mind that game conditions will be very different once there are more players; it won't be possible to hold any resources with just one square of land anymore. There will be much more competition over them all.

Thoughts?

Sphinx

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:04 pm

I felt like the supported land was too small in the lower levels. If youre going to decrease it from 15 to 10 per level, increase the base by some amount. Maybe from 200 to 300 or 400. Currently the problem is in the higher levels, not in the lower levels.

But i do agree, that with more people around holding so many resources would be difficult. Unless a big dedicated team, i guess we'll have to see.

TheRealPP

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 pm

Mike, ive spent the day doing a res test in IronJawedAngels..

Level 102, with a main..

I managed to grab 110 resources and made them all 3x3 square

Geo still didnt break, this allowed me to cap for psi tech and bio and also gather ALOT of energy and manpower res,

Now i read your reply and admittedly im not so great with numbers and the maths behind them,

But whichever way you do it, geo should break after say 100 total squares outside of your main, anymore creates pointless hoarding lol

Hope this info helps, cheers

Zero

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 pm

as it is now, supportable is needed and per level increment is also necessary.

as of now, nations don't try to level up as with a small main they are able to hold loads of res. to make the nations give a thought about leveling and use the rebirth mechanism just make it so that they need to have very big mains to hold res. right now excess area is penalized very lightly.

excess area should be penalized brutally.

why not make the formulae something like

(interior area - (4 * excess area))/(border area + excess area)

just my thoughts mike. rest up to you.

Napoleon

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:37 pm

The nation was Retaliation Mike, it was probably worse in The Addams Family.

Personally, I am not going to give you any formulas how to figure it out...

but...

I think a nation at level 100, shouldn't need more than 100 squares/resources outside of it's main, depending on main size and squareness of course.. with 100 squares you should be able to hit your stat caps completely with tons of room left over.

What this also does, is makes nations become picky.... do I select a low resource like an iron? or get a Ship for more stat so I can hit my stat cap sooner and get more bang for my buck with energy resources? Makes sense? It creates more strategy.

At level 50 maybe have only 60 resources outside of it's main, I don't know how or what is reasonable, I just know you shouldn't have 200 resources with 100% geo until you are at least level 200 or more. This goes for squares outside of main nor just resources, as they are just the land the square occupies.

What this does is forces a nation to make choices.... do I want an extra orb? Or so I want an extra resource for energy? That stat cap will make people take just enough for their cap, and then compliment it with energy resources... or if you take my suggestion, Xp res or Hillocks (which would be a good position for plants).

Mr-Beefy

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Maybe try eliminating any bonus from techs??? Would that make geo less manageable???

• Information