Walls

Is some element of the game overpowered? Or useless? Is there a strategy that's unbeatable?
Mike
Site Admin

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:34 am

Walls are intended to be a big part of defense in WoC. They're supposed to take the place of stacks of forts in the original WoC, by making a square require many more attacks to capture. But, I noticed that walls were not being used too much in the game, from what I saw. This probably means that they need tweaking.

Here are a few possible ways that walls may need to be modified. Let me know your thoughts on these, as well as any other ideas for how walls could be made more useful.

1) Are their hit points just too low? I think that may be the case at low levels; how about at higher levels?

2) Right now the build time for every type of wall is 0, then the 1st upgrade takes 1 min, and the 2nd upgrade takes 5 mins. That means, though, that it takes a total of 6 mins to build a Plasma Screen III (40 hp) vs taking 0 seconds to build a Void Dam I (60 hp). Maybe build/upgrade times should be changed to correspond to the number of hp of each wall type?

3) While a wall is in the process of being upgraded, it doesn't add any hit points at all to the square it's in. So, the square is very vulnerable while a wall is being upgraded. This is completely unlike the old stacks of forts, where while you added forts, the existing forts were still there to absorb attacks. So one possible change would be to give a square some fraction of the finished hit points from a structure in the process of being built there.

Any thoughts on walls?

Therealplagel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:15 am

Walls aren't used because cannons are wayyyy better!

Dre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:55 am

Yes, I agree that the HP of the walls are not that great at both low and higher levels. Plus, most players tend to build other defenses to protect their lands, as opposed to walls. Following on the points you made, I really like the idea of the third one where you mentioned about giving partial amounts of HP to the walls that are in the process of being built.

Loki

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 am

It is a low health issue. If the intent of walls is to add more defence then their hp needs to go up drastically. Currently anyone is just gonna mow right through them... they should at least add enough hp even at t1 to absorb a couple clicks. that would have them used a lot more if they could take a hit or 2 or 50.

Sphinx

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Walls are much better, but the experience you gain from them is totally crazy :D

Not sure how to balance it. Maybe ignore building hp when giving exp? That would also be bad, since it wastes so much mp.

Lets keep the discussion going :)

Mike
Site Admin

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:01 pm

If you're fighting against a healthy strong nation with walls, the XP you get should be about right for the time and manpower you put into the battles. Is it working that way? Is the problem just with low geo "feeder nations" with walls being very easy to attack, and delivering lots of XP?

Here's my latest thought on this. These XP exploits of using weak, low geo feeder nations to gain XP quickly started, I think, when the game started factoring geo efficiency into defense stats. What I should have done at the time, but didn't realize, was also factor geo efficiency into the amount of XP received for defeating a square. So: you defeat a 100% geo eff square with 80 hp, you get 80 xp. You defeat a 25% geo eff square with 80 hp, you just get 20 xp. Make sense?

That should take care of all the feeder nation XP abuses, including with walls. And it would make unnecessary yesterday's change of a minimum 25% manpower cost per attack. Because with this XP fix you'll still be able to slice through low geo nations like butter, you just won't get much XP from it. So no reason it should cost extra manpower.

Sphinx

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Worth a shot in my opinion.

Zero

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Why do walls or any such defenses retaken by the defending nation immediately restore to full health upon subsequent attack by the attacking nation. When not attacked retaken defenses like walls, root barricades show a health restoration bar. But if you attack, their health is shown to be full. Why? isn't it an abuse of defenses like walls, plasma screen, root barricades, etc. The offensive defense structures have an activation period when retaken. So, should the shock absorbing defenses like walls, etc. should restore to full health slowly.

Mike
Site Admin

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:51 pm

When a square with a defense in it is retaken, it should show the circular progress meter in it (which is the time until the defense can be triggered again) rather than the straight line progress meter (which is hit points). Is that what's happening? Or is it showing the straight hp meter even though it has full hp as soon as it's recaptured?

That possible bug aside, I agree a defense should probably not immediately start back at full hp when recaptured (especially now that walls have so much more hp). Maybe it should build back up starting at 25% or 50% of hp and rebuild from there? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Zero

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:58 pm

When i take an enemy wall, it shows a hp progress bar. After hp progress bar is filled, it shows the cirular progress bar. But if that square is re-taken by the defending nations rockets, cannons, etc. it displays a health progress bar. If I attack it again, even when the health progress is in red color, it shows full health in attack bar.

• Information