BIG PROBLEMS!

Is some element of the game overpowered? Or useless? Is there a strategy that's unbeatable?
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TheRealPP
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Okay, I'm speaking for pretty much everyone here, we have a lot of problems to discuss and get fixed.

1. LAG-

Whilst the new messaging system is far better, with showing nation and locations ect, the lag coming from this last update is just rediculous, at best its a 5-10second freeze of client every time you click on messages, and at worst the client will just freeze and kick you off the server.

Clicking on the compass to view the map is also giving the same lag issues, aswell as when you click on one of your flags, everything about it is just crazy right now, put yourself into IJA and play for yourself and see.

2. DEFENCES-

Rockets and Zoths are still way over powered, at the minute the game is just turning itself into stalemates and playing "lets see who logs off first", IJA and Barbarians have been basically had a stalemate on a void orb for a few days now, neither nation can click we both have mass rockets on our land and whoever hits is gonna get mopped up, i spoke with Perrin, he agrees, Rockets need to be nerfed again or make it so you can only put one every 3 squares or 5 even, and the timers for zoths needs reducing, ALOT.

3. NUMERALS-

I mentioned this on another post in bugs, but to reiterate, they basically are working whenever they choose to do so.

4. ORB FIGHT SCREEN LAG-

Seems the server falls way behind during an orb fight, i go to click on a peice of my land to build a defence and it turns out its already the enemys land, and visa versa, sometimes this can get quite bad, ive had it many times where ive had to close the client and re open it to see whats going on, this can be a pain, and even worse a wrong click in this situation can make the difference between winning and losing, and thats not fair at all if youve temped up and gained good grounds during a fight.

5. LOG LAG-

When you log out to log into another nation it takes forever, and a good portion of the time it crashes the client.

6. RES-

I'm not sure what plans you have to change res, but the game is going to need ALOT more energy res, or make them higher value, right now there are probably 5-6 nations in the far east area competing for orbs, and everyone is having energy issues, i understand when the game takes off its gonna be less chance to hold as many orbs, but equally a less chance to hold energy res too, so its gonna be a constant struggle.

7. NAMES-

Unless im being a complete noob about this, it seems the only way to make a new name is to make a new nation, with most players needing to make second names or more to join friends or team up with other players, the game is going to get littered with tons of level 1's.

8. TECH TREE -

I think the tech tree needs to be in list form rather than this diagonal lines here there and everywhere, also setting a desired advancement and letting it run to it itself like in old woc would be much better too, also keeping all the temporary tech purchases in one list rather than over 3 will make things easier.

Perrin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Well said. I agree with everything on here and then some. But I'm going to make another post for the other issues I'm referring to.

Duke

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:51 am

I agree, these need to be fixed ASAP

Napoleon

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:26 am

I think Energy Res and manpower res need to be in abundance like old WoC has waters, soils and forests etc.

It means some mains will be more valuable than others, which in turn makes nations go to war over them.

Loki

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:54 pm

I agree with everything here as well.. Just want to point out.. It is supposed to be a constant struggle :p you guys are just used to peace.

Mike
Site Admin

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:40 am

TheRealPP wrote:
1. LAG-

Whilst the new messaging system is far better, with showing nation and locations ect, the lag coming from this last update is just rediculous, at best its a 5-10second freeze of client every time you click on messages, and at worst the client will just freeze and kick you off the server.
This will be fixed with the next update. When you log in it will just load up the latest 20 messages in each list, and will only load earlier ones (in batches of 20) if you scroll to the bottom of the list. So, you won't get hit by a list of 1000 messages unless you really go looking for them. This will also decrease the time it takes to log in and allow the client to use a smaller buffer, which will decrease RAM usage and avoid some out-of-memory crashes.
TheRealPP wrote:
Clicking on the compass to view the map is also giving the same lag issues, aswell as when you click on one of your flags, everything about it is just crazy right now, put yourself into IJA and play for yourself and see.
I logged into IronJawedAngels but they only have 2 flags now. If someone wants to let me know a nation that is having problems due to lots of flags, I'll look into this.

Basically Unity has problems with having many hundreds of UI elements on the screen at once, it causes lag when they all get activated or deactivated, and can cause out of memory crashes. Other than reducing the limit of the number of flags a nation can have back down to 500 or so like it was before, I'm not sure how to solve this one.
TheRealPP wrote:
2. DEFENCES-

Rockets and Zoths are still way over powered, at the minute the game is just turning itself into stalemates and playing "lets see who logs off first", IJA and Barbarians have been basically had a stalemate on a void orb for a few days now, neither nation can click we both have mass rockets on our land and whoever hits is gonna get mopped up, i spoke with Perrin, he agrees, Rockets need to be nerfed again or make it so you can only put one every 3 squares or 5 even, and the timers for zoths needs reducing, ALOT.
I'll decrease Zoth's wipe durations further with the next update.

As for rocket launchers, there are a few possible ways to nerf them further:
1) Decrease their damage
2) Increase their cooldown time
3) Increase their energy costs

Decreasing their damage would require more of them to be built to do the same amount of damage, and it's limited by their range. Higher cooldown time is roughly the same as decreasing damage. Higher energy cost should prevent nations from building so many of them. Anyone have feedback about which of these changes you'd like to see, for keeping them useful but preventing them from being abused?
TheRealPP wrote:
4. ORB FIGHT SCREEN LAG-

Seems the server falls way behind during an orb fight, i go to click on a peice of my land to build a defence and it turns out its already the enemys land, and visa versa, sometimes this can get quite bad, ive had it many times where ive had to close the client and re open it to see whats going on, this can be a pain, and even worse a wrong click in this situation can make the difference between winning and losing, and thats not fair at all if youve temped up and gained good grounds during a fight.
I don't think this is lag, since other server actions seem to be happening in the meantime; it's not like everything gets paused. So what's probably happening is that some messages updating the client when a square changes hands are not being sent or received for some reason. One problem that could cause this is being fixed in the next update. It only affects squares that have a defense in them, though. If this keeps happening after the update, I'll keep searching for more possible causes.
TheRealPP wrote:
5. LOG LAG-

When you log out to log into another nation it takes forever, and a good portion of the time it crashes the client.
This is most likely also related to huge lists of messages and flags. It would take longer when logging out and into another nation because it needs to discard all the first nation's messages and flags and then create all the second nation's. The messages fix with the next update should help this a lot. Nations with many flags may still be affected though.
TheRealPP wrote:
6. RES-

I'm not sure what plans you have to change res, but the game is going to need ALOT more energy res, or make them higher value, right now there are probably 5-6 nations in the far east area competing for orbs, and everyone is having energy issues, i understand when the game takes off its gonna be less chance to hold as many orbs, but equally a less chance to hold energy res too, so its gonna be a constant struggle.
I plan to increase the frequency (and decrease the bonus value) of manpower and energy resources. I don't think we can get a fair picture of how scarce energy is at this point, since there are just a few nations defending way more orbs and resources than will be practical once there are more players. And, energy is intended to be less abundant than players would like, so they have to make tough decisions about where to put defenses. Energy being too abundant could lead to more defensive stalemates like you described earlier.
TheRealPP wrote:
7. NAMES-

Unless im being a complete noob about this, it seems the only way to make a new name is to make a new nation, with most players needing to make second names or more to join friends or team up with other players, the game is going to get littered with tons of level 1's.
Yes, usernames and nations can only be created together. The idea is that every username always has a "home" nation they can go back to if they want. But unlike in old WoC, nations can always be completely wiped off the map, so unused nations won't be around for long as they're attacked for XP. Old WoC used to have lots of 1 square nations that would get kicked around because the last square would just move when defeated.
TheRealPP wrote:
8. TECH TREE -

I think the tech tree needs to be in list form rather than this diagonal lines here there and everywhere, also setting a desired advancement and letting it run to it itself like in old woc would be much better too, also keeping all the temporary tech purchases in one list rather than over 3 will make things easier.
This will be a bigger job so it's a longer term goal, but it would be nice to have an alternate, list based interface for advances. I agree. I don't want to get rid of the graph form though, because it makes it a lot easier to visualize how things connect and develop. It's not the fastest form to navigate though.

• Information