Events and Tournaments

Have an idea for how to make War of Conquest more fun? Let us know here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Steve
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Okay so..

As we can all agree, even with the new defences ect, WoC is still a game of clicking squares, and with really one thing to actually aim for in capturing orbs, I have to wonder if that was the main cause of old WoC's demise ( I know it was a number of factors)

So I sat and wondered about this, and having played many various app style games (Clash, Vikings, Boom, ect) I noticed all these games have one thing in common, Daily and weekly events and tournaments.

So I spit balled a few ideas and have come up with a rough Idea of what could work for WoC

Daily events:

Obviously any events in woc will need to be placed into level catagories similar to the levels of say how fealty is set out,

Levels 1-30
Levels 30-65
Levels 65-100
Levels 100+

Events could range from capturing the most resources from enemy nations, destroying the most defences, taking the most land, capturing the most orbs, or as id prefer to see, a points system using all of the above.

For example, a 24 hour timer will start and the panel for these could look something like

Take a piece of enemy land 1pts
Capture an enemy resource 2pts
Destroy an enemy defence 5pts
Capture an orb 8pts

and when the timer finishes the nation in their level bracket with the most points could win say 50-100c and 50k or 100k XP

these could be done every 2 days.

The weekly event could be a spin from the shorter events with similar stuff, but obviously a longer wait time and a better prize at the end.

I know this could be exploitable by people settling mass defences and letting their own nation attack them ect ect, but surely we can figure a way around that?

Now onto my favourite idea: Monthly battle touraments

my idea on this would be once a month any nation can enter into a battle tournament, obviously following the same levels structure as previously mentioned, and following a similar points scoring system too, but the catch is, your points only score against the other nations competing, and have it so after say 3 days, the top 10 (or less or more depending how many enter) go through to the next round, and after that every 24 hours the bottom 2 of the points list will get kicked off until you eventually are left with a winner

The prize? Your nation will get turned into the colour gold, your nation name in silver and maybe a badge or emblem next to your nation name to highlight you are this months winner, free credits and XP

Thoughts?

P.S we need something, WoC is different to other app based games where you can buy shields and things of that nature to protect your progress until you can next get online, on woc i could spend 10 hours taking res, a main and orbs and then waking up to having 1 peice of land left, for how long will people continue to play if thats the case? and it will only get more likely that will happen when more and more players join.

Napoleon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 pm

I like all this.

I think Mike needs to explore these ideas seriously.

Mike
Site Admin

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks for this post. It hit me at just the right time as I'm trying to think of ways that WoC can better appeal to solo and casual players who don't have much of a shot at orbs.

One idea I've been thinking about is that each nation, besides its presence on the main map, could have a "home island" where it, say, builds defenses around an orb 'shard' that generates XP so long as it's well defended. Other nations can then come and attack, matchmaking style, where they have limited mp to try to take down those defenses. Defenses auto-repair between matches, CoC style. It would be a good way to introduce people to attacking and defending, and would even make a whole game-within-a-game where players could play just this way and avoid the main world completely if they wanted to, but it would be a heck of a lot of work and is in danger of being quite derivative of CoC and a bunch of other games. Maybe something like this could be a long term addition.

The ideas you described would be a lot more practical to implement in the short term, and like you say I think they would add a lot of appeal, possibly giving achievable objectives to players who can't necessarily compete for the top orbs.

The daily and weekly events idea is interesting, but (as you said) each of the goals you listed (capturing land, defenses, orbs, or resources from another nation) are ripe for exploitation by players using multiple nations. Just like the "leveler" nations that are common now for gaining XP. Unless we can solve that, or figure out goals that aren't vulnerable to this problem, I'm not sure how this would work.

The monthly tournament idea does sound exciting. I like the idea of only gaining points in the tournament by battling other tournament contenders; that would make it more difficult to game the system with dummy nations. (A nation would also probably have to lose the points that other contenders gain by fighting them, something like the CoC trophy system, or else two nations could do very well just by battling each other repeatedly).

One possibility would be that all nations are entered in the tournament at the start of the month, but then every few days it eliminates the lower half (say) of scorers, until the last few days of the month it's just the final 2.

I don't know that it would make sense to have a level-based tier system for a month-long tournament though, since nations can easily evolve through multiple tiers over the course of a month.

I agree completely with the point you made at the end, WoC does need something as a goal beyond getting orbs, something that is achievable even for solo or casual players, something you don't have to devote your life to the game in order to do well at. While these ideas add excitement and new goals, I'm not sure that they really solve that problem, though. The tournament will only have one winner, and it would take enormous devotion to become that winner. Maybe there should be different levels of prizes... like one prize for the top winner, another (smaller) for the top 10, and another (even smaller) for the top 100 (once there are enough players for that to make sense).

Anyhow, keep those ideas coming!

Mike
Site Admin

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Here are a few thoughts I had about how a tournament could work:

- There would be a period at the start of a month when players could opt-in to the tournament. Being in the tournament would make them targets, so it would make sense to have to opt-in rather than being put in automatically.

- When a nation opts in to the tournament, they are given say 1000 tournament points. I'll call these 'trophies' here, because they're something like CoC trophies.

- You gain trophies by capturing squares from other nations that are in the tournament. The trophies you gain are lost by the nation you attack.

- How many trophies do you gain from defeating an enemy square? Say you defeat a square of a nation that has 500 squares. Then you would take from that nation 1/500th of the full amount of trophies that they have. If you take a square from a nation that only has 2 squares, you would take 1/2 of all their trophies. Capture a nation's last square to steal all their remaining trophies. (This way, a nation can't avoid having trophies taken from them by minimizing their holdings).

- The exception to the above is squares containing resources and orbs. They are worth greater fractions of a nation's trophy count. This way a nation can do some concentrating of their trophies around orbs, to set up defensive positions.

- When a square is captured, the trophies for it aren't transferred immediately. The captured square needs to be held for say 5 minutes before the trophies for it are transferred. This allows the defending nation a chance to get the square back before losing the trophies, either by actively battling or by their defenses.

- Because every nation starts with the same number of trophies and the tournament is scored based on how many trophies a nation is able to steal by attacking other nations, any nation at any level in the game could conceivably win -- it's not just the nation with the most land, resources, or orbs that can win. (Number of team members & amount of time spent online would still make a crucial difference, though... I'm not sure if/how that could be avoided.)

- One loophole in this system is that players could create lots of dummy nations, just to steal all their trophies and so artificially boost their count. To address this, I'm thinking how about if a nation doesn't start with their original 1000 trophies all at once. Instead, they need to "earn" them... maybe for the first 1000 squares of land they capture from other tournament players, they earn one of their original 1000 trophies, in addition to any trophies stolen by taking those squares. This way, it would still be a lot of work for a player to create nations (or use existing friendly nations) just for the purpose of stealing their trophies.

- For the first few days of the month anyone who wants to opt-in can join the tournament. Then at some point, it's reduced to say 512 nations at the most by eliminating those with the fewest trophies. A couple days later, it reduces again to 256, and continues halving every couple days until the last couple days of the month it's just the final two contenders battling it out.

- Once the tournament is over there would be a series of prizes; a grand prize for the single winner, a smaller prize for each of the other top 10, and maybe an even smaller prize for the top 10% of trophy earners.

Thoughts?

Philly

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 am

only major flaw I see in this.

say you have a team, (not pointing fingers) such as spitfire, who is super organized...say they have 5 members. each of them makes a nation, they fight each other, for those first 1000 squares, then use spitfire, to fight those smaller nations...no xp, and no mp burn, but free trophies, they now have 6000 trophies...

tournaments if you do them, should be on a separate server, with a limit of 1 person per nation, to keep everything on the same playing field. yes that could still abused, but less likely?
"If you can't explain it to a 6 year old, you don't understand it yourself" -Einstein
Discord: TheRealPhilly#3897
Main Nation: Phoenix
Running Nation: ImmortalOutlawz
ALWAYS recruiting! Come join experience, activity, and fun!

Mike
Site Admin

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Philly wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 am
only major flaw I see in this.

say you have a team, (not pointing fingers) such as spitfire, who is super organized...say they have 5 members. each of them makes a nation, they fight each other, for those first 1000 squares, then use spitfire, to fight those smaller nations...no xp, and no mp burn, but free trophies, they now have 6000 trophies...

tournaments if you do them, should be on a separate server, with a limit of 1 person per nation, to keep everything on the same playing field. yes that could still abused, but less likely?
I think this could be a problem if there are not many nations playing in the tournament. But if there are a decent number of nations playing, it would be much easier to fight other nations for trophies than to get trophies by building up multiple nations of one's own. Maybe the tournament prizes should be proportional to the number of nations that participate in a given tournament.

Also, it will be necessary to limit the trophies received from attacking weaker nations, in the same way XP is limited fro attacking weaker nations now, to avoid players making purposely weak nations to attack.

• Information