Flanking

When a bug being discussed in Report Bugs has been fixed, its thread is moved into here.
Randak
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 am

Spent a bit of time attacking some extensive invisible defenses today that required flanking. My understanding is that a number should appear in my squares to tell me how many squares around it have these defenses. The numbers appear intermittently, and sometimes they appeared in one square but not another one where I knew enemy defenses were around. Then I would scroll around and the number would have disappeared from the first square but now be showing in the second one. Often they would not appear at all, even if I scrolled in and out to the maximum.

Mr-Beefy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:55 am

Check your video settings. set to minimal. worked for me. they stay constant when I do that.

Randak

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks Mr-Beefy. I tried this and it did not work. Numbers still intermittent. Someone in chat yesterday was using a Droid phone and it worked fine for them. I am using a PC. One interesting thing is that the numbers are more likely to appear if I am dragging the terrain to the right. Just before a square is going off the right edge sometimes the number will appear- but it is still not consistent.

Mike
Site Admin

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Interesting, I will look into this. Let me know if you discover anything (else) that's consistent about the conditions that make this occur.

What happens if you exit the client and then restart it? Do the numbers behave correctly for a while, then start misbehaving? Or do the problems appear from the beginning?

Randak

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 am

Problems appear from the beginning. Have restarted many times, and even logged in and out. I don't think it has ever shown all the numbers at once. Just went in again and went after some temples. Most of the numbers don't show up at all, and occasionally one or two squares will show, then disappear. Some squares seem to show their numbers more than others, and some never show a number even though they are next to a defense.

Loki

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:33 pm

I think I can explain. When you are flanking the roman numerals on the tiles will move as you get a better position or settle a land that will cause the current value to be untrue. If you have ever played minesweeper you will know that as you pinpoint the mines you can also pinpoint the safe tiles to click that do not contain the mine. When that is done in this game the difference is there will be no roman numeral on the tile. if you clear that the other tiles would change.

Examples will be hard to do on the forum like this... I will set up some nations in the future.. and get a livetsream recording. So I can show you what I am talking about. I do not believe there is anything going wrong with flanking (i may be wrong). I thionk what is happenening is as you are "sweeping" the numbers are fluxuating.. and theyre suppsoed too..... if your settling land and a number disapears and makes atiule a tile have no number... try clicking it it should be safe.

Randak

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks Loki- I understand what you are saying, but this is not the problem here. The numbers are not usually showing, even if there is an enemy defense next to it (by the way, I love Minesweeper, fun game). They sometimes show up and then disappear, even if I have not taken any new squares. If the number appears it is never "wrong", I just don't know if a number isn't appearing because of the bug or because there are no defenses. The flanking itself works fine - if I surround an enemy defense and attack the game works correctly.

I know for at least one other player the numbers work fine, and maybe they do for you. Not sure if it is something with my PC or setup. I did change the graphics setting several times per Mr Beefy's help, but this does not work for me.

Mike
Site Admin

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Does this happen for numbers anywhere in the game world for you, or only at certain locations? If only at certain locations, next time you see it could you let me know the map coords and the name of the nation you were logged in as?

Also, if you see this happen on a PC, could you end me the log file which should be located here:
c:\users\[your windows username]\AppData\LocalLow\IronZog\War of Conquest\output_log.txt

Dev

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Happened to me on Android. Numbers were there and then nothing. Even relogged but they didn't come back.

Randak

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:36 pm

The problem happens everywhere. I don't think it has ever worked right for me, certainly not since we went alpha. Email of the log on the way. If we need to set up a live test on the map I'm up for that if it would help.

• Information